Thursday, September 30, 2010

Food and I: Unseparable

I suppose you guys might want to know what Jesus College provides for food everyday - well I've had the good opportunity to have lunch and dinner there two times over two different days, so I thought I'd just post some photos of the dining hall and the food they provide. I missed breakfast because Wei Hong and I just made do with cookies - but I got milk last night, so there's something else now!

Alright, so let's see, why not let's show you my dining hall first:

Dining Hall, Jesus College
 It's quite nice and pretty, and classy, and like, Harry Potter-ish? It's not the real thing of course, Harry Potter colleges look a lot nicer, haha. But! It's good enough for me. The long table way back in the background under the paintings is the High Table where all the important people like Scholars and Professors sit. And I sit on the long tables like the one in the foreground:

Dining Table, Jesus College
 They provide drinking water, but Wei Hong says it's directly from the tap, so I guess, I'll just drink only when necessary since my stomach can't handle too much chlorine. There're paintings all over the dining hall:

Famous People on the Wall
 Ah yes, let's start with Thursday's lunch, which was really pleasant. I thought it was pretty filling, just nice to fill my tummy after one whole day of walking to and from; getting around Oxford on foot really takes out a lot of me, especially when it's so cold. You know in Oxford, I can literally see my breathe coming out of me in the mornings! Freezing! And to think it's not even winter yet!

Thursday Lunch: Roasted Chicken with Bacon Wrap,
Mashed Potatoes, Carrots and Raspberry Crumble with Custard
Well, no rice, but I'm not complaining! It's quite decent, only cost me £4.08, easy on the pocket here:

Thursday Lunch: Main Course
 And I didn't expect a dessert too - although it was a tad bit too sour, but the custard was really nice and sweet so I guess it evens out:

Thursday Lunch: Dessert
 And then of course there's Wednesday's lunch; every day they give two options, a vegetarian one and a non-vegetarian one - I chose the vegetarian one on Wednesday because I was thinking of having some nice fluffy rice: 

Wednesday Lunch: Yellow Dhaal Rice with Curry Lentils,
Naan, Tomato/Onion Salad and Yoghurt Mix
Really, this was rather filling, and because it was a little spicy (it was hardly spicy, more like with nice spices), it kept me warm and full till about 7pm.

Ah yes, that's about all for the food update. I've been to a Thai restaurant with Marco and Michael Murphy (my Australian neighbour from Adelaide, reading Economics), and I was pretty satisfied, just that a plate of Paad Thai costs like £5, which was a shocker - it wasn't even filling! And yeah, we had to tip at restaurants, so it didn't make any sense to go after a while.

And I've been to Burger King and McDonald's already, and I've a good mind not to go very often - I don't really want to eat fast food. It's unhealthy although it's well, tasty, haha. Much tastier than Singapore's, but too bad there's no chilli sauce here at all.

Oh well. Toodles! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment