Monday, October 11, 2010

Church and Library: All in a Day's Work!

Let's see, I haven't exactly shown you any pictures of St. Ebbes, have I? Well, sad to say, although I went on Sunday morning for their 11:45 am service and tonight again for their 7:30 pm bible study, I only took pictures of the food I ate, haha! I promise next time I'll take photos of the church and the people there as well, but for now you can just gaze at what the church has for lunch and dinner! And I must say their food is really good, all homecooked by students or staff and it's really cheap! I really appreciate good and cheap food now - and when I say good, I really mean awesome, scrumptious, sumptuous and yummy good!

On Sunday, they gave all newcomers to St. Ebbes a complimentary piece of pudding; when they say pudding here, it could mean cranberry crumble with custard, Lemon cheese cream granola pie or even a good ol' piece of chocolate pie - and I took pictures while the nice people (Lottie was one of them) served me my pudding:

The 3 Puddings with the 3 Pudding Ladies (Lottie on leftmost)
Guess which pudding I chose? Well, I went for the middle one because it looked the most beautiful of all; I had a bit of the chocolate pie, which was really rich and good, and it just oozed with chocolate fudge! Sadly I didn't get to try the cranberry crumble, but I had it at Jesus College once already, so it's no shame at all. And here're two Singaporean friends I met the past two weeks in my department and at St. Ebbes:

Benjamin Tan (left) and Tommy (right)
Benjamin is my NUS senior from the Chemistry Department - he's from the same batch of students as Professor Leong Weng Kee's daughter! So we hit it off almost immediately when we met during the Chemistry induction day in the PTCL lecture theatre. He's a really nice and warm guy, and well, he's quite quiet but I feel really comfortable around him! He's doing a DPhil in Organic Chemistry, and two years later he'll zoom back to Singapore to finish up the Singapore leg of his DPhil - it's some partnership programme and A*Star is funding him!

I don't know Tommy that well, but I do know he's from SIM - and he's here to do a Masters in Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science.

-------------------------------------------------------

And tonight at the bible study group, which we call iFocus, with the 'i' standing for international, we had a wonderful dinner cooked by some Singaporeans; we actually had Thai Green Curry on our plates! How wonderful to eat something hot and really spicy! The curry at Jesus College doesn't even rack up a sweat - this one sure did!


Thai Green Curry with English Tea Cakes
It was so good, and it cost only £2.50 to have dinner at church! I thought it was excellent and the rice was the best I've eaten in a really long time, haha! I felt really satisfied. Thank God for wonderful food and wonderful people at St. Ebbes! Praise the Lord! And I thought bible study went pretty well too! We didn't cover much ground, but we started on Romans for the new academic year; and look, they even gave me a nice notebook for my bible study, which I'll cherish and use wisely:

St. Ebbes' iFocus Bible Study Notebook
And there's a World Music Night (with international food!) coming up on 22 October 2010! I think I'll invite my coursemates and let them enjoy the wonderful fellowship of St. Ebbes as well. :)


It was a good night. :)


-------------------------------------------------------

I went for a seminar today, and it was rather boring; but nevertheless I tried to listen and I made full use of my time there at the lecture theatre down at PTCL. After the seminar, I went down to the Radcliffe Science Library (RSL) to get one of the classics in Quantum Mechanics; it's this book by Cohen Tannoudji et al. and it's one of the most amazing books I've ever read!

Now let's show you what the outside of the library and what its interior looks like:


Radcliffe Science Library

RSL Entrance

Descending the Stairs

A Quiet Place of Mugging

All the Physics Books I Always Wanted to Read

The Classic: Cohen Tannoudji et al.'s Quantum Mechanics Vol. II
And just beside the library is this ginormous and gargantuan natural history museum, which looked really nice from the outside (I haven't been in there yet, haha!):

Oxford University Museum of Natural History

The Signboard

The Museum at a Glance
And when you exit the RSL, just turn left and you'll run into South Parks Road:

South Parks Road
South Parks Road is where the Physical & Theoretical Chemistry Department is located, together with the rest of the other Chemistry departments, so here's where I work and study:

Looking Down South Parks Road
And I guess that's it for tonight! Toodles! :)

2 comments:

fabs said...

Must go to the London Natural History Museum! =)

yyknosekai said...

When I get to London, I'll try, haha!

Post a Comment