For those who do not yet know, I happen to be quite a frequent blogger - so much so that I had to intentionally stop myself from blogging because I muse too much. But I thought if this blog is for all to read, I might as keep a log of my walk with God as well.
I went for two services today because I met a friend who wanted me to accompany him to church - so why not, now that I've the time? His name is Phillip Esseln, and he seemed pretty interested (he's Catholic and he says he's not very devout, but he's a really nice and honest man, down to earth - I seem to attract down to earth people huh?), so I thought it'd be nice to be with him for the evening.
And the minute service started, the Word spoke to me because the speaker spoke immediately from the book of Isaiah, the Word of God that is spoken every year on the day of atonement:
"Come now, let us reason together,"
says the LORD.
"Though your sins are like scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they are red as crimson,
they shall be like wool. - Isaiah 1:18
And I just broke down and cried, for reasons I cannot divulge here - for the Lord knows the sins I have committed, those sins that I have confessed to my brothers and some closer sisters in Christ. And how powerful the Word of God is when it speaks to you, when it cuts right down to your spirit.
I am a sinner through and through, and it is by the grace of the Lord, who has finished all work through His Son Jesus Christ, that I may stand before the throne of God unashamed. I must never forget what God has done for me.
The Law came to convict me of my sin, that I may know sin - indeed, without the Law, I am sinless! Only with the Law, then will this foolish man know that he is not without transgressions! Romans make so much sense now. Romans 7:19 reads that 'For what I do is not the good I want to do; no the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing.'
Oh how wretched I am. Indeed. The words of Jack Katy, the lady who gave her testimony this morning now resounds within my heart - I am as wretched as anyone whom I judge to be wretched.
But you see, the Word of God doesn't end here!
But God gave Grace that completed the Word of God. Jesus said that He came not to abolish the Law, but He came so that it may be completed - not a single iota of the Word of God will pass away even when heaven and earth do fade. And so the Law in the Old Testament cannot be disregarded in the face of amazing grace.
But Grace completes the Law. The Law reveals the character of God, and Grace is in tune with the character of God. Propitiation, an act of will by the living God.
Was it Phillip Yancey who said that Grace is as infinite as an infinite God could ever give? I'm sure it was phrased more sophistically. Oh well, I should get down to reading Phillip Yancey soon. :)


2 comments:
Some masochistic part of me actually likes seeing these to-me-unsolvable equations and their symbols, heh.
It's solvable, just try it. :)
Post a Comment