Saturday, October 2, 2010

Samwise Gamgee: The Food Dude

I pulled a Samwise Gamgee (the little Hobbit from Lord of the Rings) today and I thought I'd just cook some Haddock fillet (pretty good fish actually) and some vegetables broiled with cream sauce - but oh what disaster!

The kitchen was in a mess, and it wasn't really complete with all the pots and pans I needed, or seasoning; plus, the pans are all stick. That's right, not non-stick, but 100% stick pans. I guess they started out as non-stick, but after months of scratching the pans, I guess they're officially Teflon stick pans now. Hurhur.

But the cooking didn't turn out too bad; I started out with some milk (I could only get skim milk, what a waste!), vegetable pack (brocolli, cauliflower and carrots), Haddock fillet and a basic cooking pack (vegetable oil, oregano, garlic granules and chilli flakes):

The Fish and the Seaweed

 Never Use Skimmed Milk

Basic Cooking Pack

The Special Stick Pans
I ravaged the kitchen cabinets and found this canister of salt - don't you think it's like one of those Sigma Aldrich chemical containers with some kind of magnesium sulphate salt inside:

Salt is Salt
 Sure enough, halfway into the cooking the fish started to stick, but it still smelt good:

Haddock Fillet on the Pan
 I made the mistake of cooking the fish then the vegetables because I forgot that the cold weather would just make the fish go all cold. Ah well, but the sauce warmed the fish again after I was done saute-ing the vegetables and cooking them in milk:

Broiled Vegetables in Milk
And this is the final product! I'm not too proud of it because it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to - I guess I could've gotten better ingredients:

Haddock Fillet in Cream Sauce with Vegetables
Well it didn't taste that bad, but the moment I ate it, looked at the pots and pans to be washed, the effort spent, I just thought of home immediately and somehow this wave of homesickness washed over me. It took me the entire afternoon just to recover from this feeling of homesickness.

Oh yes, why did I cook yesterday then? Because the college Dining Hall closes every Sunday afternoon (alright, it's closed today for a special reason), so I guess I had not much of a choice, other than to eat out again.

And from now on, YYK is going to have English breakfast at the dining hall every morning! I mean, I was really comforted by what they served to me yesterday for breakfast:

Saturday Breakfast: Sausage, Bacon, Egg, Tomato, Mushrooms,
Toast with Honey and Butter
I wouldn't mind waking up to this every morning!

I guess that's all for now - toodles!

2 comments:

fabs said...

Hey bro. I know how you feel man. Staying away from home can be hard for several weeks, but things will get better once the term starts. With good technology, just call/skype home. =D Jia you. Will keep you in prayer. =)

yyknosekai said...

Thank you my friend! :) Will keep you in prayer too!

Post a Comment